- Also known as the American Linden tree.
- Native to North America.
- Bees and butterflies love the fragrant flowers in the summer.
- But these flowers can aggravate allergies in some people.
- Basswood trees are low-maintenance and can live to 150 years.
- The uneven heart-shaped leaves are distinctive and easy to recognize.
- The soft wood is easy to work with, so it is a favorite for wood carvers.
- Stump-sprouting: a cut or fallen basswood tree can sprout at the base producing a clump of tall trees around what was the original tree.